SAN RAMON CHURCH
The People´s House
We imagined this church as the new social center and meeting point for the people of San Ramón. A space made by and for the community. The silhouette of the church (traditional silhouette with side belfry) is transformed into a silhouette of a house, from the entrance to the nave by cutting the Parish Center.
It is this transformation of the section of the project which creates the light inputs of the building, and also integrates the architectural programs of both phases (first phase church and parish center in second phase). These silhouettes with pitched roofs with interesting inclinations, also respond to extreme climatic factors such as the heavy rains that are especially intense in this town in the Peruvian jungle.
1. AFFORDABLE MATERIALS. Responding to the budget, we have introduced an industrial structure of the nave based on Industrial metal trusses and a basic coating material: aluminum sandwich panels with interior OSB.
2. LIGHT AS A SPIRITUAL. Beside the altar appears a “Cross of Light” as the only sculptural element of the church. It is oriented towards the morning and noon to get a stronger magical and mystical effect during the hours of common mass.
3. INTEGRATED. Church and Parish center are integrated in a single volume, the first one is accessed from a busy street, and the second is just north of the site. The church consists of entrance porch, tower, nave, altar and sacristy.
In the parish center we have 3 floors with 6 meeting rooms and the housing for church personnel.
4. SUSTAINABILITY. Isolation is solved in a cheaply way and cross ventilation through large openings. Air movement is reinforced by chimney effect, creating a lower cold pole with a side shaded fountain and a hot source in the ridge of each gate.
- Status: Construction Documents.
- Project Year: 2013 – 2014.
- Location: San Ramón, Peru.
- Area: 1.060 m2.
- Design: OOIIO Architecture.
- Team: Joaquín Millán Villamuelas, Gabriela Sanz Rodríguez, Magdalena Polvorinos Caeiro, Idoia Vicuña
- Client: Private.